Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly blog hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.
Since this week is a freebie week, I thought I would explore the list of television shows that I watched (and for several, enjoyed), but never read the books that inspired the shows. I actually struggled to come up with ten, because it seems not only do I read a lot series, but I read a lot of series that are used at the inspiration for television shows.
1. Game of Thrones – I have really enjoyed this show since it first aired on HBO. So much so, I ran out and bought the first four books. But when it came time to sit down and read the books, I really struggled getting into the stories and I haven’t ever finished the first book.
2. Orange is the New Black – I’ll admit, I’m late to the boat when it comes to this series. I only just started watching it. However, after I finished the first season and waited (impatiently) to borrow the second season from my local library, I found myself pondering if I should read the book or not. I may or I may not. I’m still on the fence about this one.
3. Dexter – I was a huge fan of this Showtime series and though I hated the final season, I was always curious to read the books. But seeing as the books are part of a series and I have so many other books to read… I just never got around to it. Maybe in the future.
4. Roswell – From my high school years, Roswell was in my CW weekly lineup alongside Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Dawson’s Creek, etc. I didn’t even know the show was based off a book until I looked this morning. Now I really want to add this one to my to reads list, if for any reason other than nostalgic curiosity.
5. House of Cards – Just like Orange is the New Black, I just recently started watching House of Cards. I like the drama of it all and I was surprised to find it was based off of a book. However, I think this may be one I’ll pass on it.
6. Under the Dome – This strange really caught my attention when it premiered a few years ago. I even have the book checked out from the library, but seeing as it’s over 1,000 pages long, it’s going to be a while before I get to this one.
7. Bones – Bones is one of the few series I have been faithful to through all of its ups and downs. I say this because the show has been on for over a decade and the show has been slowly losing it’s ability to appeal to me. Though my mother has read several of the books, but I just haven’t gotten around to them. Which is ironic, since I have a few of them on hand…
8. Army Wives – As a veteran and former military wife, I actually enjoyed the first couple of seasons of this show. But once again, it wasn’t until today that I discovered it was based off a book. You learn something new every day, right?
9. Gossip Girl – I actually gave up on this series somewhere between season two and three, but I was curious to see how the books compared to the show. Somehow, I just don’t think I’ll ever get around to finding out. Oh well.
10. Sex and the City – Though I was way too young to be watching this series when it first premiered on HBO, I discovered it as a teenager and absolutely fell in love with Carrie and her friends. Imagine my surprise when I discovered it was based on a book! Of course, like several others, this is probably one I will not ever read.
Have you read any of these books? Post in the comments below if you have and let me know if they are worth reading.